Friday, August 8, 2008

'something something' peanut soup ~

heh heh...



The original name of this recipe from Fiwa's blog is "African Thai Peanut Soup Stew Stuff" and please click on the link to see how she did it. I never have the same 'stuff' on hand that all the great cooks have so I just have to fake it, and mine won't be exactly the same tastes, but I don't think it's too different. And...honey, hush...it was soooo good...



I've never cooked with peanut butter except to make cookies and desserts. I've been missing something.



Sis's version peanut soup



5 medium size potatoes

1/2 large onion, chopped

green curry paste

minced garlic, to taste (meaning a big ol' heaping spoon haha)

little bit of cooking oil

3 cups broth (beef or chicken)

1 can diced tomatoes with juice

1 14 oz. can coconut milk (not the sweetened kind)

1 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)



Scrub the potatoes clean, and boil them until done in a pot of water. Let cool for a few minutes. Since I seek fiber wherever I can, I left the skins on but you can scrape them off if you like. Slice the potatoes into uniform chunks and set aside.




Heat a little oil in the bottom of a big pot or large wok, on medium-high heat. Saute the onions for a minute or so, add the curry paste and cook another minute, then add the garlic and cook for yet another minute. Pour in the 3 cups broth, the tomatoes, and the coconut milk, and add the potato chunks in, and cook and stir until it's simmering well. Add the sea salt and stir to dissolve. Add the 1/2 cup peanut butter and let it melt while stirring. Let it simmer a few minutes to meld the flavors, and then turn off the heat.



Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts, if you used smooth peanut butter. I didn't have any peanuts to chop, so I sprinkled some roasted salted sunflower kernels on mine and it was delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment