Tuesday, August 25, 2009

mango-coconut ice cream ~

After getting an ice cream maker at Wallyworld on clearance, I couldn't wait to make some. I had a few nice ripe mangoes, and hmm, yep, it sounded good to me! Got some recipes online, and just tweaked and played and decided as I went. The result? YUM!

Very strong in the mango flavor, to tell the truth, but that's fine with me and the kids; coconut milk adds some flavor but not so much that I know I need to use it next time. In fact, I'm going to make this again with regular milk and see how it goes.

At any rate, it's very good the way I did it, and it's a pretty color, too. :)



Mango-Coconut Ice Cream


1 1/3 cups mango puree (2 large ripe mangoes, peeled, deseeded, and pureed in blender)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup half & half
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup 2% milk
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt


Stir together thoroughly in a bowl: mango puree, coconut milk, half & half, corn syrup, lemon juice and vanilla and set aside.


Place milk in a heavy 2 quart saucepan and bring just to a boil. Whisk together in another bowl or in a mixer the egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Add the hot milk in a thin stream, whisking constantly until well blended. Pour back into saucepan and cook the custard on medium low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until the temperature registers 170 to 175 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer (approx. 2-4 minutes). Pour into mango mixture, mix well, and place in refrigerator, covered, to chill for 3-4 hours. You can run it through a sieve but I didn't do this, I didn't mind the texture of the mangoes.


When custard is chilled, freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer directions. Place ice cream into an airtight container and freeze in the freezer overnight to harden.



Look at this - I could hardly keep from eating it before it was pureed, mmm! I love mangoes.

Photobucket



Mango mixture, waiting patiently.

Photobucket



Eggs, sugar and salt, whisked and ready.

Photobucket



Hot milk/egg mixture, ready to add to the custard.

Photobucket



Custard, cooked and about to be chilled.

Photobucket



Freezer running, packed with ice and rock salt.

Photobucket



This isn't the best picture, but I was trying to capture the motion of the bucket spinning.

Photobucket



I'm so coldhearted... :D

Photobucket



This is the way it looked when it was done. It was already pretty firm, I think I over froze it, if that's possible, lol.

Photobucket



Oh yum! Transferring it to the plastic tub (an old sherbet container was perfect); and yes, I did taste - we all did, teehee!

Photobucket



Here it is the next day, in all it's mango-ey glory. Wonderful taste!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Oh oh oh! I LOVE mango ;-) I love the saturated mango color in all that luscious creaminess. You've captured the texture beautifully. Wonder if you could've brought out more coconut flavor with extract

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I love your new site theme! it looks great! Secondly, that ice cream is to die for! Mango and coconut are heavely..tropical and refreshing..and the color of final result is gorgeous. Very nicely done, and bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...that looks wonderful!! The color is so rich. I love the photos...you used your prime lens, didn't you??

    XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh my goodness...how I wish I could reach right into that picture and steal some now! Mango anything is my favorite and this sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete