Wednesday, July 16, 2008

lemon mango scones~

One time, a while back, I called myself making up a recipe, it was a stirfry recipe that was, at best, only ok...I've never gone back to it, because since then, I've tasted some pretty awesome stirfries that make me embarrassed about my first attempt, LOL.



Today, I decided to try making up another recipe - I got the idea that maybe mango and lemon would marry well together. I googleeyed "baking recipes mango lemon" or something like that, and got basically nothin' so I took a little breath and went for it. I made this thing up and could hardly wait until the timer went 'ding' because it was starting to smell pretty awesome the longer it cooked.



All I can say is...it's the best scone I've ever put in my mouth. Seriously. I ain't meanin' to boast on myself none, haha, but it is. Now I pronounce you lemon and mango, you may kiss the bride...



OK - here goes...please try it sometime and give me some feedback, and thanks!



Lemon Mango Scones


3 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

finely grated zest from 1 large lemon

1 1/2 sticks butter, cubed but still cold

juice and pulp from one large lemon

3/4 cup cold milk

1 mango, peeled and diced into small cubes and pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, mix dry ingredients, including zest. Using pastry cutter (or in your mixer), cut cold butter pieces into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. In bowl or cup, mix lemon juice and milk, and then gently pour into well. Using flat spatula or fork, gently blend ingredients. When they hold together a little bit, add mango pieces and continue to gently mix. Make a ball from the dough and place it on floured surface. Using floured hands (and adding flour by the tablespoon if needed due to being too moist), gently fold and knead the dough about 5 or 6 times. Pat out into large circle, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Using sharp knife, divide into 12 wedges. Transfer to seasoned baking stone or lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, checking toward the end for overbrowning.


If desired, after the scones have cooled, drizzle a mixture of powdered sugar and a little lemon juice (to make a thick icing) over each scone.


No comments:

Post a Comment