Friday, April 2, 2010

Lee's dressing ~

I'm sure Lee would not claim this dressing, as he found it in a local-to-him magazine, from a restaurant where his family loves the salad dressing, so I guess it's not really his. But in our house, the biscuits we eat are his ('hey mom, are these Lee's biscuits? Yay!'); the fudge we make is his ('hey mom, is this Lee's fudge? Yay!'); and the chocolate chip cookies are his as well ('hey mom, are these Lee's cookies? Yay!'), even though the biscuits and cookies are actually Alton Brown's, and the fudge, it probably came off the back of a jar, if I'm remembering correctly. rofl

Anyway, this is Lee's dressing, and I don't even know the name of the place who originally makes it, but if someone needs to know, pop me a comment down there and I'll ask Lee. :)

It's a bit on the sweet side, yet rich and rather complex, imo. I tend to go for tart over sweet, but I really liked the smooth flavor of this dressing. It makes a LOT but it also halves or quarters easily. Lee says he's going to tweak it for even less sugar; when he gets it finalized, maybe I'll jump over here and update. :)

Lee's 'somewhere in Arizona' Restaurant Salad Dressing

1 quart balsamic vinegar (I'm liking it already)
1 quart olive oil
2 quarts canola oil
1 pound brown sugar (I googled and this is 2 1/4 cups)
2 yellow onions
2 cups fresh grated parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic (I used about 6 or 7)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper

Chop onion and garlic fine, and grate parmesan cheese fine. Soften brown sugar in the microwave for a few minutes, and mix sugar, onion, garlic, and cheese together in a mixer bowl.
Pour balsamic vinegar into mixing bowl and mix on low with wire whisk attachment. With mixer running (using wire whisk), slowly add the oil to the bowl and mix until emulsified. Do not refrigerate. Store in tightly lidded jars in cool spot and use within a few months (I added that last part after "do not refrigerate" lol)

This recipe makes one and one quarter gallons.

Enjoy.

Photobucket


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. You're scarin' me, girl, starting a recipe with quarts of ingredients! QUARTS?! But then, as I recall, you doubled the biscuit recipe...

    Glorious detail on that tomato shot, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! It was hard to see that "halves or quarters easily" in there so I went back and boldfaced it and italicized it, so you wouldn't be so scared! ROFL!

    Thanks, girl, and it had glorious taste detail, too. HAHA
    XO

    ReplyDelete