Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Coconut Pound Cake with Lime Glaze ~

This, my friends, is my final version. It has texture like my mom's pound cake, and fantastic flavor. The height is aweinspiring, LOL. Next time I make it, I'll put it in 2 or maybe 3 loaf pans and see what happens ~ but for now, I'm keeping this one just like it is.


Photobucket



Coconut Pound Cake
with Lime Glaze


1 1/4 cups shortening
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten until well blended
3 1/2 cups flour
1 Tblsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. salt
(mix flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside)
1 1/8 cup coconut milk
2 tsp. coconut extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
(mix coconut milk and both extracts and set aside)
1 egg white, beaten until very frothy


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a Bundt pan and set aside. In a mixer bowl, cream shortening and sugar; when blended well, increase speed and whip until light and fluffy. Pour beaten eggs into mixer bowl in 4 or 5 increments, with mixer running on low and mixing eggs well after each addition. Increase speed and whip again to a light fluffy stage. Stop the mixture and add 1/3 flour mixture; mix on low until incorporated well. Add 1/2 the coconut milk mixture, and incorporate well. Repeat flour mixture and coconut mixture, and end with adding the remaining flour mixture, incorporating the additions into the batter each time. Mix until you are sure the batter is well blended, but do not overmix. Fold in beaten egg white, with 2 or 3 slow turns of the mixer paddle, or fold in by hand. Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan, and bake for 1 hour, 10 minutes. Test at 1 hour, since your oven may be different from mine. When the cake is done, set on a rack for 15 minutes to cool in the pan; then make sure edges are loose and invert onto rack to cool completely, out of the pan. Place on cake plate and glaze liberally (or to your liking) with Lime Glaze. Before the glaze completely sets, top with thin shreds of lime zest and some cooled toasted coconut flakes.


Lime Glaze
1/2 lime, juiced completely into a bowl
powdered sugar to make a thick glaze
(this recipe is easily doubled for extra, such as in the photos here)


Mix well, until no sugar clumps remain. Spoon over cooled Bundt cake, letting it run down the sides. Adjust the amount of glaze to your liking.


Serving recommendation: tastes best when accompanied by a huge ice-cold glass of milk. :)


Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. The texture of the cake and the glaze both look fantastic. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...so I changed recipes in my brand new recipe folder! LOL I can't wait to try this one. It looks so yummy!

    :) I'm drooling for cake and it's only 6am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sis...we brought dad to the cabin for the week and he loves cake! So while getting groceries I decided to make this cake for him while we're here. Good thing I brought the recipe and had it in my purse at the store. I even had to buy a bundt pan and mixer since we don't have them at the cabin! And of course, we all know, a good baker samples their goods...sometimes over and over and...well,you get the idea! Hehe. I'll let you know how it turns out!

    XOXOXOX

    Ginni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Elissa! For the visit and for the sweet comments. :)

    Gin - please let me know how you, Andy and your dad like the cake! And your trip, tell me all about it!

    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waiting for the temps to cool down a bit before venturing to turn on the oven ;-) But maybe I'll do it anyway for my brother's b-day. Thanks again for all your experimentation to reach this perfect (for now!) version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Nikki - I hope you like it. And just fyi, I made it again as a cupcake experiment - but being totally out of coconut extract, I used 2 tsp. of vanilla and one tsp. almond extract. And it made yummy little cupcakes. I wanted to see how it does because we have a reception for our new youth minister and his wife this coming Sunday, and I'm to help supply cookies/treats for that. I think I'll frost the cupcakes with a lemon cream cheese frosting. :)

    Let me know if you make it for your brother!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making it tomorrow night. Just got the shortening. Bundt pan at the ready...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine's in the oven right now, as I type. The time was never right at the cabin so I'm making it today and will take a piece over to dad's tomorrow when we go visit him. My sister Marsha made one yesterday and I took some pix. I'll post pix of mine too...in fact, this cake gave me an idea for a blog post (and those don't come along too often anymore...LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  9. That makes me feel so good that you made this cake, Gin! And your sister, too. :) Did you get to try hers? I sure hope you like(d) it!

    I can't wait to read your blog - and see the pictures. Woot!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete