Friday, December 5, 2008

steak with balsamic sauce...

What the heck is a flat iron steak?

I had that question the other day, when I saw this recipe. I googly-eyed it, and got that it's similar to a top blade steak or roast. So anyway, I just bought this big chunk of beef. I don't remember what it was called, heh, but it was pretty thick - too thick, as it turns out, and slightly on the tough side, but tasted wonderful anyway in the end. Next time, and there will be many next times with this recipe, I'll use a good cut of meat, just whatever I want - sirloin, or t-bone, whatever...

OK, here's the recipe. Be forewarned - it stinks to high heaven, when cooking (the sauce) - or so Jack and the kids told me. I just thought it smelled vinegary. It's kinda like fish sauce, though - stinky but when you eat it, wow, is it full of flavor!



Steak with Balsamic Sauce
3 pound flat iron steak
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons coarse peppercorns (I used coarse ground black pepper)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
1 tablespoon butter (I just used the olive oil for this)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I had none, but didn't miss it this time)
Brush steaks with oil. Press peppercorns and salt into each side of steak. Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat. Add steak and cook on both sides until desired doneness. Remove to plate and keep warm. Stir garlic into the pan and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add balsamic vinegar and increase heat to medium high; simmer until reduced by half. Thinly slice steak scross the grain and arrange on platter. Pour sauce over steak and sprinkle with parsley.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment