Saturday, October 4, 2008

it's a texture thing...or not ~

Sometimes when I go to my mom's house, she gives me wonderful and awesome gifts. Not money or jewelry or such, but something better.

Vegetables. Oh yeah, baby.

Today, she gave me a sack of okra.

Now - here in the South, people typically like their okra battered and fried, or in Louisiana, in gumbo as is good and proper. But since I didn't have some of the gumbo fixins and I don't really care for fried okra, I fixed it my favorite way of all - boiled.

Ever had it? It's slimy, teehee! REALLY slimy.

For someone who gags on the last 2 bites of forcefed oatmeal, can hardly choke down a gummy nasty banana, and who thinks grits are a curse of the devil (don't tell, I'll lose my Southerngirl card), you'd think slimy okra would be the last thing I'd be headoverheels in love with. But - I'll fight ya for em.

Luckily, Stevie isn't home and Dillon and Jack don't like them, and Dalton only eats a few...that means more for me, and leftovers for tomorrow, LOL.

As for preparation, it's not anything that should really even be posted here, to tell the truth - it's that easy. Wash the okra, throw in a deep pot and barely cover with water, salt it a little, cover, and bring to a boil. Let it boil for about 7 or 8 minutes, and you're done. Season it with salt pepper Tony's whatever while it's hot on your plate, and go to town.

BTW - if you get the big ones, best do something else with those or toss them to the chickens, because they are tough. Now those big tough ones will make me gag, LOL...

Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment